Friday 27 July 2012

The Graveyard of Abandoned Projects

Gah! I have been through the wringer with this WIP, let me tell you. I don't usually suffer from writer's block but there are days when it's like wading through treacle.


But finally the end is in sight. The end of this revision, that is. And possibly the end of this WIP because I promised myself if one more run through doesn't fix it I would stop torturing myself and consign it to the Graveyard of Abandoned Projects.


The trouble with this writing lark is the more you do it and the more you learn about what is right and what is wrong the harder it becomes to feel satisfied with what you've written. I've learned a lot writing this particular book, or I should say rewriting it since I've spent more time doing that. I have umpteen files of discarded material as proof of my many changes of mind. But at least I've stuck with it and should have a semi decent draft of something which may never see the light of day but does at  least have a beginning, middle and end.

2 comments:

Joe said...

The way I see it, you should never be completely satisfied with your latest novel, and always strive to make the next one better. Even if you get a publication deal on it, the publisher will inevitably ask: 'so, what's next?'

A good writer never stops improving her craft :-)

Sandra Patterson said...

Thanks, Joe. Who was it who said, novels are never finished, only abandoned?